The Women’s Classical Committee was founded in 2015 in the United Kingdom with the following aims:
- Support women* in classics**
- Promote feminist and gender-informed perspectives in classics
- Raise the profile of the study of women in antiquity and classical reception
- Advance equality and diversity in classics
*By ‘women’ we include all those who self-define as women, including (if they wish) those with complex gender identities which include ‘woman’, and those who experience oppression as women.
** By ‘classics’ we understand the study of the ancient Mediterranean world and its reception, including but not limited to scholarship by students and post-holders in academic departments of Classics and Ancient History.
People of any gender expression or identity who support these aims are welcome to become members and to put themselves forward for office.
We seek to achieve these aims by working independently and with other organisations. Our activities include:
- Organisation of a regular Feminism & Classics Conference
- Proposal and sponsorship of regular panels at the Classical Association and other UK-based significant conferences for the discipline
- Financial support for members to cover the cost of travel, childcare and other expenses related to their scholarly activities
- Creation and sharing of resources for teaching both feminist approaches within Classics and women in antiquity
- A mentoring programme for PhD students and early-career academics
- Promotion of the positive representation and presence of women on-line
On this site you can use the menu above to find out more about our future and past events, read our blog for announcements and news, find links to the work of women in Classics and other sites relevant to our work, or contact us.
Please contact Katherine McDonald with any corrections or updates to the site.